Monday, June 10, 2013

It Ain't Maine Without A Lighthouse Picture






I've rolled out to sea on a downwind roar,
many a time to wash up on the same broken-down shore. 
 The lighthouse marks entry to a harbor of protection,
but this time I'm sailing in a different direction.


Yesterday I biked almost 25 miles along the Maine coastline stopping only for lighthouses, ice cream, and a lobster roll. I made up that little stanza above for fun during some of the long miles, but the truth is, if I had the chance in Maine, I'd drop sails and stay awhile. It seemed to me the kind of place you could find yourself anchored at the heart. 



9 comments:

  1. Wouldn't ya just LOVE to LIVE in that house?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'd even take that little red shed in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take the little red shed with you. Good stuff, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for viting my blog, glad you liked it! ;-)
    I love your underwater pictures too, how lively and lovely!
    I also loved to go to the coast when we live in North Carolina, and light houses were definitely one of our walk goals.
    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noushka, your blog is beautiful! I love how you capture the birds. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really haven't been to enough states. Only ventures down to Montana, Washington, and Idaho. I think I seriously need to start planning a trip out to the eastern side. And a bike ride sounds like the perfect way to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right - a bike is a great way to see the coast. I spent yesterday biking Newport, RI and it was beautiful. Meanwhile, I've been wanting to get to Canada again, and finally will next week. On my way back west, we're going to enter Canada through Vermont and check things out until we re-enter the US in Sault St. Marie a few days later. Should be fun! Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never been to Maine, but I love the lighthouse pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you ever go, Constance, this would be the place!!

    ReplyDelete